Last Updated: 2017—JAN—09
The Information We Collect and/or Receive
In the course of operating the Site, we will collect (and/or receive) the following types of information. You authorize us to collect and/or receive such information.
1. Contact Information
2. Other Information
In addition to the Contact Information, we may collect additional information (the “Other Information”). Such Other Information may include:
- From Your Activity. In an ongoing effort to improve the Site, we automatically collect certain information when you visit the Site. Such information includes, without limitation, IP addresses, browser type and language, referring and exit pages and URLs, date and time, amount of time spent on particular pages, what sections of the Site visitors visit, and similar information concerning your use of the Site.
- From Cookies. We collect information using “cookie” technology. Cookies are small packets of data that a website stores on your computer’s or mobile device’s hard drive so that your computer will “remember” information about your visit. We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to help us collect Other Information and to enhance your experience using the Site. If you do not want us to place a cookie on your hard drive, you may be able to turn that feature off on your computer or mobile device. Please consult your Internet browser’s documentation for information on how to do this and how to delete persistent cookies. However, if you decide not to accept cookies from us, the Site may not function properly.
For more information on such third-party analytics services, including how to opt out from certain data collection, please visit the following links:
For Google Analytics, please visit: https://www.google.com/analytics
For Amplitude, please visit: https://amplitude.com/
For Parse.ly, please visit: https://www.parsely.com/
Please be advised that if you opt out of any third-party analytics service, you may not be able to use the full functionality of the Site.
For Facebook Pixel, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/651294705016616
Information Collected by or Through Third-Party Companies
How We Use and Share the Information
You authorize us to use your Contact Information and Other Information (collectively, the “Information”) to provide and improve our Site; to solicit your feedback; and to inform you about our company, products and services.
You also authorize us to use and/or share your Information as described below.
- Agents, Providers and Related Third Parties. We may engage other companies and individuals to perform certain business-related functions on our behalf. Examples may include providing technical assistance, order fulfillment, customer service, and marketing assistance. These other companies will have access to the Information only as necessary to perform their functions and to the extent permitted by law. We may also share your Information with any of our parent companies, subsidiaries, or other companies under common control with us.
- Aggregated Information. In an ongoing effort to better understand our users and our Site, we might analyze your Information in aggregate form in order to operate, maintain, manage, and improve the Site. This aggregate information does not identify you personally. We may share this aggregate data with our affiliates, agents, and business partners. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our Site to current and prospective business partners and to other third parties for other lawful purposes
- Business Transfers. As we develop our businesses, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, your Information may be part of the transferred assets.
- Legal Requirements. To the extent permitted by law, we may also disclose your Information: (i) when required by law, court order, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency; or (ii) whenever we believe that disclosing such information is necessary or advisable, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of Independent Media or others.
- You will comply with all applicable laws in your use of the Site and will not use the Site for any unlawful purpose;
- You will not access or use the Site to collect any market research for a competing business;
- You will not upload, post, e-mail, transmit, or otherwise make available any content that:
- infringes any copyright, trademark, right of publicity, or other proprietary rights of any person or entity; or
- is threatening, tortious, defamatory, libelous, indecent, obscene, pornographic, invasive of another’s privacy, or promotes violence; or
- discloses any sensitive information about another person, including that person’s e-mail address, postal address, phone number, credit card information, or any similar information;
- You will not “stalk” or otherwise harass another;
- You will not impersonate any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- You will not decompile, reverse engineer, or disassemble any software or other products or processes accessible through the Site;
- You will not circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade, or thwart any of the protections in the Site;
- You will not use automated means, including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools, or the like to download or scrape data from the Site, directly or indirectly, except for Internet search engines (e.g., Google) and non-commercial public archives (e.g., archive.org) that comply with our robots.txt file;
- You will not use, frame, or utilize framing techniques to enclose any Independent Media’ trademark, logo, or other proprietary information (including the images found on the Site, the content of any text, or the layout/design of any page or form contained on a page) without Independent Media’ express written consent;
- You will not use meta tags or any other "hidden text" utilizing Independent Media’ name, trademark, or product name without Independent Media’ express written consent;
- You will not take any action that imposes or may impose (in our sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our technical infrastructure;
- You will not interfere with or attempt to interrupt the proper operation of the Site through the use of any virus, device, information collection or transmission mechanism, software or routine, or access or attempt to gain access to any data, files, or passwords related to the Site through hacking, password or data mining, or any other means; and
- If you find something that violates our Community Guidelines, please let us know, and we’ll review it.
Accessing and Modifying Information and Communication Preferences
If you have provided us any personal information, you may access, remove, review, and/or make changes to the same by contacting us at [email protected]. In addition, you may manage your receipt of marketing and non-transactional communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of any Independent Media marketing e-mail. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to process such requests in a timely manner. You should be aware, however, that it is not always possible to completely remove or modify information in our subscription databases.
How We Protect the Information
We take commercially reasonable steps to protect your information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Please understand, however, that no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases or the databases of the third parties with which we may share such information, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. In particular, e-mail sent to us may not be secure, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail.
Important Notice to Non-U.S. Residents
The Site is operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us maybe transferred to, processed, maintained, and used on computers, servers, and systems located outside of your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States and choose to use the Site, you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent to such transfer, processing, and use in the United States and elsewhere.
Independent Media, Inc.
575 Broadway, 5th Floor (c/o Code & Theory)
New York, NY 10012
In addition, Independent Media does not monitor, recognize, or honor any opt-out or do not track mechanisms, including general web browser “Do Not Track” settings and/or signals.
How to Contact Us
Last Updated: 2017—JAN—09
THE SECTIONS BELOW TITLED “BINDING ARBITRATION” AND “CLASS ACTION WAIVER” CONTAIN A BINDING ARBITRATION AGREEMENT AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER. THEY AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. PLEASE READ THEM.
1. USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
2. COMMUNITY GUIDELINES
Independent Media’s community, like any community, functions best when its people follow a few simple rules. By accessing and/or using the Site, you hereby agree to comply with these community rules and that:
We reserve the right, in our sole and absolute discretion, to deny you access to the Site, or any portion of the Site, without notice, and to remove any comments that do not adhere to these guidelines.
3. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The Site contain materials, such as software, text, graphics, images, sound recordings, audiovisual works, and other materials provided by or on behalf of Independent Media (collectively referred to as the “Content”). The Content may be owned by us or by third parties. The Content is protected under both United States and foreign laws. Unauthorized use of the Content may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws. You have no rights in or to the Content, and you will not use the Content except as permitted under this Agreement. No other use is permitted without prior written consent from us. You must retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the original Content on any copy you make of the Content. You may not sell, transfer, assign, license, sublicense, or modify the Content or reproduce, display, publicly perform, make a derivative version of, distribute, or otherwise use the Content in any way for any public or commercial purpose. The use or posting of the Content on any other website or in a networked computer environment for any purpose is expressly prohibited.
If you violate any part of this Agreement, your permission to access and/or use the Content and the Site automatically terminates and you must immediately destroy any copies you have made of the Content.
The trademarks, service marks, and logos of Independent Media (“Independent Media Trademarks”) used and displayed on the Site are registered and unregistered trademarks or service marks of Independent Media. Other company, product, and service names located on the Site may be trademarks or service marks owned by others (the “Third-Party Trademarks”, and, collectively with the Independent Media Trademarks, the “Trademarks”). Nothing on the Site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use the Trademarks, without our prior written permission specific for each such use. Use of the Trademarks as part of a link to or from any site is prohibited unless establishment of such a link is approved in advance by us in writing. All goodwill generated from the use of the Independent Media Trademarks inures to our benefit.
Elements of the Site are protected by trade dress, trademark, unfair competition, and other state and federal laws and may not be copied or imitated in whole or in part, by any means, including but not limited to the use of framing or mirrors. None of the Content may be retransmitted without our express, written consent for each and every instance.
4. USER CONTENT; LICENSES
The Site may allow you to post and upload content, including but not limited to, comments and reviews (collectively, “User Content”). You expressly acknowledge and agree that once you submit your User Content for inclusion into the Site, it will be accessible by others, and that there is no confidentiality or privacy with respect to such User Content, including, without limitation, any personally identifying information that you may make available. YOU, AND NOT INDEPENDENT MEDIA, ARE ENTIRELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL YOUR USER CONTENT THAT YOU UPLOAD, POST, E-MAIL, OR OTHERWISE TRANSMIT VIA THE SITE.
You retain all copyrights and other intellectual property rights in and to your own User Content. You do, however, hereby grant us and our sublicensees a non-exclusive, royalty-free, freely sublicensable, perpetual license to modify, compile, combine with other content, copy, record, synchronize, transmit, translate, format, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, and otherwise use or exploit (including for profit) your User Content and all intellectual property and moral rights therein throughout the universe, in each case, by or in any means, methods, media, or technology now known or hereafter devised.
If you submit User Content to us, each such submission constitutes a representation and warranty to Independent Media that such User Content is your original creation (or that you otherwise have the right to provide the User Content), that you have the rights necessary to grant the license to the User Content under the prior paragraph, and that it and its use by Independent Media and its content partners as permitted by this Agreement does not and will not infringe or misappropriate the intellectual property or moral rights of any person or contain any libelous, defamatory, or obscene material or content that violates our Community Guidelines.
5. COMMUNICATIONS WITH US
Although we encourage you to e-mail us, we do not want you to, and you should not, e-mail us any content that contains confidential information. With respect to all e-mails you send to us, including but not limited to, feedback, questions, comments, suggestions, and the like, we shall be free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in your communications for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to, the development, production and marketing of products and services that incorporate such information.
6. NO WARRANTIES/LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT ALTHOUGH THE SITE AND THE CONTENT CONTAINED THEREIN CAN BE USED AS AIDS TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS, THE SITE AND THE CONTENT CONTAINED THEREIN ARE SOLELY EDUCATIONAL AND INFORMATIONAL IN NATURE AND ARE NOT MEANT TO BE SUBSTITUTES FOR LEGAL, BUSINESS, OR MEDICAL ADVICE OR EXERCISE OF YOUR OWN JUDGMENT. ANY SUCH DECISIONS OR JUDGMENTS ARE MADE AT YOUR SOLE DISCRETION AND ELECTION.
THE SITE AND THE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THAT THE SITE OR CONTENT WILL OPERATE ERROR-FREE OR THAT THE SITE, ITS SERVERS, OR THE CONTENT ARE FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR SIMILAR CONTAMINATION OR DESTRUCTIVE FEATURES.
WE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES’ RIGHTS, AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, OR USAGE OF TRADE. IN CONNECTION WITH ANY WARRANTY, CONTRACT, OR COMMON LAW TORT CLAIMS: (I) WE AND OUR LICENSORS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS, OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM LOST DATA OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION RESULTING FROM THE USE OR INABILITY TO ACCESS AND USE THE SITE OR THE CONTENT, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES; AND (II) ANY DIRECT DAMAGES THAT YOU MAY SUFFER AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR THE CONTENT SHALL BE LIMITED TO ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100).
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES. THEREFORE, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS ON WARRANTIES IN THIS SECTION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
THE SITE MAY CONTAIN TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS OR OMISSIONS. UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAWS, WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SUCH TYPOGRAPHICAL OR TECHNICAL ERRORS LISTED ON THE SITE. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES, CORRECTIONS, AND/OR IMPROVEMENTS TO THE SITE AND/OR ADD OR REMOVE CONTENT AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
7. EXTERNAL SITES
The Site may contain links to third-party websites (“External Sites”). These links are provided solely as a convenience to you and not as an endorsement by us of the content on such External Sites. The content of such External Sites is developed and provided by others. You should contact the site administrator or webmaster for those External Sites if you have any concerns regarding such links or any content located on such External Sites. We are not responsible for the content of any linked External Sites and do not make any representations regarding the content or accuracy of materials on such External Sites. You should take precautions when downloading files from all websites to protect your computer from viruses and other destructive programs. If you decide to access linked External Sites, you do so at your own risk.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold us and our officers, directors, employees, successors, licensees and assigns harmless from and against any claims, actions, or demands, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees, arising or resulting from: (i) your breach of this Agreement; (ii) your misuse of the Content, or the Site; and/or (iii) your violation of any third-party right, including without limitation any copyright, trademark, property, or privacy right.
9. COMPLIANCE WITH APPLICABLE LAWS
The Site is based in the United States. We make no claims concerning whether the Content may be downloaded, viewed, or be appropriate for use outside of the United States. If you access the Site, or the Content from outside of the United States, you do so at your own risk. Whether inside or outside of the United States, you are solely responsible for ensuring compliance with the laws of your specific jurisdiction.
10. TERMINATION OF THE AGREEMENT
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to restrict, suspend, or terminate this Agreement and your access to all or any part of the Site, at any time and for any reason without prior notice or liability. We reserve the right to change, suspend, or discontinue all or any part of the Site at any time without prior notice or liability.
11. DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT
Independent Media respects the intellectual property rights of others and attempts to comply with all relevant laws. We will review all claims of copyright infringement received and remove any Content or user submissions deemed to have been posted or distributed in violation of any such laws.
Our designated agent under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the “Act”) for the receipt of any Notification of Claimed Infringement which may be given under that Act is as follows:
Independent Media, Inc.
Attention: The Outline Copyright Agent
575 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10012
If you believe that your work has been copied on the Site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our agent with notice in accordance with the requirements of the Act, including (i) a description of the copyrighted work that has been infringed and the specific location on the Site where such work is located; (ii) a description of the location of the original or an authorized copy of the copyrighted work; (iii) your address, telephone number and e-mail address; (iv) a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law; (v) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf; and (vi) an electronic or physical signature of the owner of the copyright or the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest.
12. BINDING ARBITRATION
In the event of a dispute arising under or relating to this Agreement or any other products or services provided by us (each, a “Dispute”), either party may elect to finally and exclusively resolve the dispute by binding arbitration governed by the Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”). Any election to arbitrate, at any time, shall be final and binding on the other party. IF EITHER PARTY CHOOSES ARBITRATION, NEITHER PARTY SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO LITIGATE SUCH CLAIM IN COURT OR TO HAVE A JURY TRIAL, EXCEPT EITHER PARTY MAY BRING ITS CLAIM IN ITS LOCAL SMALL CLAIMS COURT, IF PERMITTED BY THAT SMALL CLAIMS COURT RULES AND IF WITHIN SUCH COURT’S JURISDICTION. ARBITRATION IS DIFFERENT FROM COURT, AND DISCOVERY AND APPEAL RIGHTS MAY ALSO BE LIMITED IN ARBITRATION. All disputes will be resolved before a neutral arbitrator, whose decision will be final except for a limited right of appeal under the FAA. The arbitration shall be commenced and conducted by the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (“JAMS”) pursuant to its then current Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures and in accordance with the Expedited Procedures in those rules, or, where appropriate, pursuant to JAMS’ Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures. All applicable JAMS’ rules and procedures are available at the JAMS website http://www.jamsadr.com. Each party will be responsible for paying any JAMS filing, administrative and arbitrator fees in accordance with JAMS rules. Judgment on the arbitrator’s award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. This clause shall not preclude parties from seeking provisional remedies in aid of arbitration from a court of appropriate jurisdiction. The arbitration may be conducted in person, through the submission of documents, by phone, or online. If conducted in person, the arbitration shall take place in the United States county where you reside. The parties may litigate in court to compel arbitration, to stay a proceeding pending arbitration, or to confirm, modify, vacate or enter judgment on the award entered by the arbitrator. The parties shall cooperate in good faith in the voluntary and informal exchange of all non-privileged documents and other information (including electronically stored information) relevant to the Dispute immediately after commencement of the arbitration. Nothing in this Agreement will prevent Independent Media from seeking injunctive relief in any court of competent jurisdiction as necessary to protect Independent Media’s proprietary interests.
13. CLASS ACTION WAIVER
You agree that any arbitration or proceeding shall be limited to the Dispute between us and you individually. To the full extent permitted by law, (i) no arbitration or proceeding shall be joined with any other; (ii) there is no right or authority for any Dispute to be arbitrated or resolved on a class action-basis or to utilize class action procedures; and (iii) there is no right or authority for any Dispute to be brought in a purported representative capacity on behalf of the general public or any other persons. YOU AGREE THAT YOU MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST US ONLY IN YOUR INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS CUSTOMER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING.
This Agreement is governed by the internal substantive laws of the State of New York, without respect to its conflict of laws provisions. If this Agreement is terminated in accordance with the Termination provision above, such termination shall not affect the validity of the following provisions of this Agreement, which shall remain in full force and effect: “Intellectual Property,” “User Content; Licenses,” “Communications with Us,” “No Warranties; Limitation of Liability,” “Indemnification,” “Termination of the Agreement,” “Binding Arbitration,” “Class Action Waiver,” and “Miscellaneous.”
Our failure to act on or enforce any provision of the Agreement shall not be construed as a waiver of that provision or any other provision in this Agreement. No waiver shall be effective against us unless made in writing, and no such waiver shall be construed as a waiver in any other or subsequent instance. Except as expressly agreed by us and you in writing, this Agreement constitutes the entire Agreement between you and us with respect to the subject matter, and supersedes all previous or contemporaneous agreements, whether written or oral, between the parties with respect to the subject matter. The section headings are provided merely for convenience and shall not be given any legal import. This Agreement will inure to the benefit of our successors, assigns, licensees, and sublicensees.
Copyright 2016 Independent Media Corp. All rights reserved.